Jamie Traxler handles a wide variety of public law matters, including preparation and interpretation of resolutions, ordinances, policies, and contracts; land use, zoning, and CEQA; constitutional law; the Brown Act, Public Records Act and Political Reform Act. She also regularly advises commissions and boards during public meetings on all public law matters.
Jamie currently serves as the Assistant City Attorney for the City of Irwindale, Assistant General Counsel for the Irwindale Housing Authority, and Assistant General Counsel for the Isla Vista Community Services District.
Jamie’s litigation practice focusses on a wide range of civil litigation matters such as writs of mandate, appeals, breach of contract, dangerous conditions of public property, constitutional law, and unlawful detainers.
Jamie also handles labor and employment matters, including labor negotiations and drafting, implementing, and interpreting memorandums of understanding. She also advises on employee issues, including employee benefits, discipline and termination, and provides training and advisement for workplace violence, discrimination, and harassment.
In Jamie’s roles, she regularly handles public housing matters, such as compliance with federal, state, and local housing laws and program regulations, defending complaints filed with HUD and the DFEH, drafting and implementing various administrative and affordable housing policies, and administrative hearings.
Representative Litigation Matters:
• City of Chino- Successfully defended the City in a dangerous condition of public property lawsuit which resulted in the Plaintiff dismissing the case and paying the City’s litigation costs.
• City of South El Monte- Successfully defended the City against various constitutional challenges related to the inspection and closure of an illegal massage parlor, resulting in published 9th Circuit case, Killgore v. City of South El Monte, 3 F.4th 1186 (9th Cir. 2021).
Representative Labor & Employment Matters:
• City of Grand Terrace – Represented the city in adoption of employer-employee relations, recognition or employee organization, and labor negotiations.
• City of Irwindale- Represented City in labor negotiations for successor memorandums of understanding for three employee organizations; advise city on various employee issues, including employee benefits, discipline and employee termination; drafted various policies for workplace violence, discrimination, and harassment, drug and alcohol free workplace, lactation accommodation.
• Various Agencies- drafted declarations of state of emergency related to COVID-19; draft COVID-19 Prevention Program regarding vaccinations and other safety standards, and COVID-19 travel and quarantine policies
• Various Agencies- Regularly provide supervisor and employee training sessions on Anti-Harassment and Discrimination Prevention, Brown Act and Conflicts Training
Representative Housing Matters:
• Los Angeles County Development Authority– Successfully represents the Los Angeles County Development Authority in various unlawful detainer lawsuits and grievance hearings.
• City of Irwindale- Regularly advises regarding eligibility for various housing programs, including development of affordable housing units; draft various administrative and affordable housing policies; represent the City in administrative appeal hearings.
• Assistant City Attorney, Irwindale
• Assistant General Counsel, Isla Vista Community Services District
• State Bar of California
• US District Court, Central District of CA
• US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Killgore v. City of South El Monte, 3 F.4th 1186 (9th Cir. 2021)
• “The Friday and Monday Leave Act: Complicated Intermittent Leave Issues” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association (CALPELRA) – 2020 Annual Conference (November 2020)
• “Dead Gift-Away: The Constitutional Prohibition on Gifts of Public Funds” California Special District Association Annual Conference and Exhibitor Showcase (September 2021)
• “Every Breath You Take: Things Every Employer Should Know about Employee Surveillance” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association (CALPELRA) – 2022 Annual Conference (November 2022)
• Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law, Orange, CA, JD, Cum Laude, May 2019, Senior Editor, Chapman Law Review 2018-2019, Criminal Law Academic Fellow, Fall 2017, Constitutional Law Research Assistant, Summer 2018
• Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, BA, Magna Cum Laude, Political Science, 2015, BA, Magna Cum Laude, Communications, 2015